Sunday, March 13, 2011

~ The Antique French Bergere ~

Being new to this blog thing... I sometimes do not know what to share... I have been selling furniture online for about 5 years.  The furniture has changed a little - from true antiques to the 'beautifully imperfect' pieces that I redo.  My most favorite (if that is correct English) thing to redo is French Bergere chairs....  So... going through my pictures... I found this redo.  I hope you like it.

Last summer, I found this set of chairs (only one is pictured) on eBay and knew I wanted them... but I  wasn't sure what I would do to them.  I understand that they were from the late 1800's ... and as heavy as they are - I believe it.  I started out much the same way that I always start out... sitting the chairs in my dining room... where I can see them through out the day.   After sitting there for about a week... looking all prim and proper...





















































I started by repairing and sanding the old polychrome finish.  Then I had some left over 'pistachio green' paint... and so that's what I used.  Using a paint brush...



I was a little scared at this time in the redo...





Looking pretty???  I just wasn't sure ~ yet.


OK.. now for the real stuff...  it was the first time I had experimented with stain over paint.  I wasn't 'blog watching' at the time of this redo... so I didn't realize others were doing this too. LOL    Here are the results of just brushing on a dark walnut stain .... and wiping it off with a soft cloth.


Not too bad... huh? 



OK - now at this stage I was so impressed!  I was hooked on stain over paint! 

The upholstery was to be very special for this very special pair of chairs.  I decided on an ivory hemp canvas for the front and cushion with a double welt... and a natural color hemp canvas with individual nail heads for the back and underneath.  Although I do some upholstery projects... I use an elderly gentleman for the special pieces... and he is so very gracious to do what I ask... even if he looks at me like I had three heads and was from Mars.  All aside... I think he did an excellent job.









So... there she is... one of the pair... I like her! 

This post has been linked to the following:


Furniture Feature Fridays








Transformation Thursday







Talk to me... tell me what ya think...

16 comments:

  1. WOWOWOW What a difference! I love strain over paint too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I hadn't heard of using stain until a couple of weeks ago, for this effect. It's perfect.

    Cheers,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I especially love the nail head trim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty. The chairs have a nice shape. Dropping by from Met Monday, where I've linked a post about French chairs also! Hope you'll come see.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these chairs. Thanks for visiting my blog and following. I am now your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chair looks so good. I just loved the color of the paint with the stain over it. Great job.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Marianna

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chair really looks gorgeous. I'm in love with those chairs. Thanks so much for linking up to my Swing into Spring party. Your blog is beautiful. I am your latest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That chair is to die for! I want a pair of French chairs bad. I'm a new follower, please stop by and say hi when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love it! I'm currently reupholstering my sette. Any tips on how you handled the curve of the front back. I can't quite figure out how to get my front seat back smoothed out:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopped over from Miss Mustard Seed...I'm lovin' your chair; very elegant.

    Moni

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful piece! I need to accomplish this with a chair I just bought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also...welcome to blogging :)
    My backyard is in Tennessee...

    ReplyDelete
  13. From shabby to chic! You make it sound so easy, but I know there must be a tremendous amount of work that goes into each creation and it shows. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. STUNNING transformation! Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Just comment below...